Disclaimer

"Having a blog is like wandering around your house naked with the windows open; it's all very liberating until someone looks in the window. However, while being caught unawares is one thing, it is quite another to stroll up to the window and press your naked, flabby body against the coolness of the glass in a hideous form of vertical prostration for all the world to see..." These posts are the smudges that are left behind on the window.

Sunday 22 January 2012

Who Are You?

Last night we watched the movie Cowboys and Aliens; not exactly an intellectual, or spiritual giant as far as movies go. But there was one interesting statement made in the movie.

The movie starts out with the hero not knowing who he is, or how he got there. The only thing he knows is that he's beat up, and has an odd bracelet on his wrist. As the movie progresses, he starts to realize he has a dark past. Part way through the movie, the preacher who he has befriended lays dying, and says to him; "God doesn't care who you were, only who you are".



At first glance there really isn't any great revelation here for those of us brought up in the church. Yeah, yeah we say; I was a sinner and now I'm a Christian, which is all God really cares about - nothing new here.

But I wonder if there isn't more to this. I wonder if this isn't perhaps just as important even after we've said the magic words. I wonder if this doesn't apply to our everyday existence, and struggle, to reflect the image of God that we are called for. I wonder if these aren't words of encouragement that we can take to heart.

Let's face it, we all screw up on a regular basis. Maybe you don't, but I know I do. And usually just after we've screwed up by doing this or that, or not doing this or that, we start to chastise ourselves for our varying levels of stupidity. Then, depending on the severity of our offence, we re-live it endlessly through the day, or even days to come, thinking to ourselves; "How can I call myself a Christian when I do such things?"

But maybe what we need to do is to acknowledge that we screwed up, learn from our mistake, strengthen our resolve not to do it again (although we probably will, but hopefully not). And then tell ourselves; "God doesn't care who I was, only who I am (at this moment)".

Despite what we've been led to believe, at times; God isn't stupid. He knows we are going to screw up. But, what he's really concerned about is our willingness, and desire, to live in a manner consistent with the Kingdom.

Does a thought like this give you renewed hope? Or, do you think it's just intellectual justification?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Your comment will not show immediately as I am moderating them for now.